The recipe was designed by Tarja Kakkuverstaa. You can familiarize yourself with this and many other recipes on Kakkuversta's Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/kakkuverstas/
The recipe makes about 30 cakes.
- 4 dl wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 3.75 dl of sugar
- 2.5 dl milk or almond milk
- 4 tablespoons of Royal Earl Gray tea leaves
- 0.5 dl ready Royal Earl Grey chilled tea
- 1.25 dl of rapeseed oil
- 3 eggs
1. Heat the milk in a pot until almost boiling and add the tea leaves. Let the tea leaves steep in milk for 10 minutes so that the flavor of the tea is extracted into the milk. Strain the tea leaves from the milk and leave the milk to cool.
2. Brew a cup of strong Royal Earl Gray and extract half a desi tea. You can enjoy the rest of the tea yourself.
3. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
4. In another bowl, mix the cooled tea milk, tea, rapeseed oil and eggs. Mix the mixture until smooth with a whisk. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. However, do not beat, just mix until the ingredients are mixed together and the dough becomes smooth.
5. Pour the dough into small pans. Remember to leave room for rising about 1/3 of the size of the pan.
6. Bake the cakes at 170 degrees for about 13 minutes.
If you don't have a small cake pan (12 cakes/pan), you can bake the dough in muffin/cupcake pans. Please note that in this case the baking time is longer (16-18 min) depending on the size of the pan. The cakes are ready when the dough no longer sticks to the stick when you try it. The flavor of the tea comes out best from the cakes when the cakes have cooled. So make up your mind, and at least don't eat them all warm.
If you wish, you can decorate the finished cakes with e.g. a pinch of powdered sugar or white chocolate flavored with lemon. The fluffy and moist structure of the cake is best preserved at room temperature. If you are storing the cakes for a longer time, put them in the refrigerator and let them warm up to room temperature before serving. You can also freeze the cakes.